Last week, we talked about things that can hurt your dog during the holidays. With the holidays fast approaching, your home probably has much more chocolate in the cupboards than normal, with more coming in just a few weeks. Chocolate toxicity is a real danger to dogs, especially small breeds who don’t have enough body mass to metabolize the chocolate before it kills them.
Luckily, most times a dog eats chocolate, it’s both large enough to metabolize the chocolate safely (since it’s harder for small dogs to get on the counters or in the cupboard), and it’s diluted as milk chocolate. I’m going to walk you through the steps to take if your dog does eat chocolate, and how serious the situation may become.
Continue reading “How to Keep Chocolate Toxicity from Killing Your Dog”
The holidays are, in my opinion, the best time of year. You get to see your family, even those from far away. The food is amazing. I have a cousin who bakes the most amazing cookies, and dozens of kinds. She uses my grandmother’s recipes as well as her own, and it’s amazing. And everyone else makes their own specialty, so it’s all the family favorites at the table. I also work in retail, and love that the store is crazy-busy, and the customers are stressed but perfectly happy to stand in long lines.
But this season is dangerous for your pets. Many foods that we enjoy can kill dogs. Guests inadvertently leave the door open, and dogs escape. Hot kitchens lead to spills, and winter weather approaches. Use these tips to keep your dog safe this holiday season.